Office 2007 has been launched for a few years already. However, I understand that due to costing issue, some or most of the organization are still using Office 2003 or even Office XP.
Recently, I have received some question on why even with Office 2007 Compatibility Pack, users are not able to open the new office format with Office 2003 but are able to do so using Office XP (2002).
So, I think it would be good to share with you all that please note the min requirement for the compatibility pack to work for Office 2003 and XP are as follow:
—- Extracted from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en — You can download the installer too ————————–
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Recommended Microsoft Office programs:
- Microsoft Word 2000 with Service Pack 3, Microsoft Excel 2000 with Service Pack 3, and Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Word 2002 with Service Pack 3, Microsoft Excel 2002 with Service Pack 3, and Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office Word 2003 with at least Service Pack 1, Microsoft Office Excel 2003 with at least Service Pack 1, and Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 with at least Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003
Many people are not updating their Microsoft Office especially the Service Pack! So, please take note that in order for the compatibility pack to work, take note of the min service pack of the existing Microsoft Office. 🙂